Have you ever encountered a cockroach? If so, you undoubtedly remember the first time you saw one of these menacing pests in person. It is also pretty common knowledge that they are carriers of bacteria and disease. But as threatening as they look in person, when it comes to these nuisances there is much more than meets the eye. Keep reading to learn more about cockroaches and some reasons why you definitely do not want them in your home or workplace.
1. Cockroaches can live for one month without food — This makes an infestation extremely hard to eradicate because even if their food source is depleted or removed they can still hide out and survive in the same place. They can only survive about a week without water though which is why they are often found in damp locations where moisture is prevalent.
2. They can spread more diseases than you think — Cockroaches can carry seven known pathogens, 33 different types of bacteria, and six types of parasitic worms. They can also trigger asthma and aggravate allergies. They are definitely not something that you want around if you enjoy staying healthy.
3. They can hold their breath for 40 minutes — If you think you can just flood cockroaches out, think again. They intentionally hold their breath often to regulate their interior water levels, and they can live for up to 30 minutes even when they are completely submerged in water.
4. Cockroaches don’t need mouths to breathe — They have an open circulatory system and breathe through tiny holes called spiracles which exist in each separate segment of their body.
5. They can run up to three miles per hour — While that might not sound incredibly fast, just think how quickly they can spread germs and disease throughout your living space while moving at that speed.
6. It is difficult to remove their food source because they feast on such a wide variety of things — Cockroaches are drawn to things that are high in protein like meat scraps. They also like cheese, beer and anything that contains high levels of sugar. Starchy items such as cereal also draw them in. When none of these favorites are available they can subsist on things such as wallpaper, postage stamps or pet fur. Most disturbing of all, the American cockroach has been documented feeding on the eyebrows, hair, eyelashes and even the toenails of sleeping children.
Cockroaches are some of the most easily sustained and adaptable creatures on the planet which makes eliminating them from your home or workplace a very tall task. If you encounter even one of these pests, call a professional pest control company immediately.